Readings on Case Study Research
Case Study Research under Different Philosophical Orientations
- Andrade, A. D. (2009). Interpretive research aiming at theory building: Adopting and adapting the case study design. The Qualitative Report, 14 (1), p. 42-60.
- Dyer, W.G. and. Wilkins, A.L (1991). Better stories, not better constructs, to generate better theory: A rejoinder to Eisenhardt’, Academy of Management Review, 16 (3), p. 613-619.
- Easton, G. (2010). Critical realism in case study research, Industrial Marketing Management, 39, p. 118-128.
- Easton, G. (1998). Case study research as a methodology for industrial networks: a realist apologia, in P. Naudé and P. Turnbull (eds), Network Dynamics in International Marketing, Oxford: Pergamon, p. 73-87.
- Eisenhardt, K.M. (1989). Building theories from case study research, Academy of Management Review, 14 (4), p. 532-550.
- Gummesson, E. (2003). All research is interpretive!, Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing, 18 (6/7), p. 482-492.
- Platt, J. (1988). What can case studies do?, reprinted in Qualitative Research Alan Bryman and Robert Burgess, eds., Sage Publications, London, p. 160-179.
- Ragin, C.C. (1992). Introduction: cases of ‘what is a case?, in C.C. Ragin and H.S. Becker (eds), What is a Case? Exploring the Foundations of Social Inquiry, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, p. 1-17.
- Stake, R.E. (1995). The art of case study research. Thousand Oaks: Sage.
- Sutton, R.I. (1997). The virtues of closet qualitative research. Organization Science, 8, p. 97-106.
- C. Welch, R. Piekkari, E. Plakoyiannaki and E. Paavilainen-Mantymaki (2011). Theorising from Case Studies: Towards a Pluralist Future for International Business Research, Journal of International Business Studies, 42 (6), p. 740-762.
- Bonoma, V. T. (1985). Case research in marketing: Opportunities, problems and a process. Journal of Marketing Research, 22, p. 199-208.
- Piekkari, R., Welch, C. & Paavilainen, E. (2009). The case study as disciplinary convention: Evidence from international business journals. Organizational Research Methods, 12, p. 567-589.
Case Study Selection
- Coppedge, M. (1999). Thickening thin concepts and theories: Combining large N and Small in Comparative Politics, Comparative Politics, 31(4), p. 465-476.
- Emmel, N. (2013). Sampling and Choosing Cases in Qualitative Research: A Realist Approach. Sage Publications.
- Fletcher, M. and Plakoyiannaki, E. (2011). Case Study Selection: Key Issues and Challenges for International Business Researchers, in edited volume by Piekkari, R. and Welch, C., Rethinking the Case Study Research in International Business, and Management Research, Edward Elgar, p. 171-191.
- Mahoney, J. and G. Goertz (2004). The possibility principle: choosing negative cases in comparative research, The American Political Science Review, 98, p. 653-669.
- Patton, M.Q. (2002). Qualitative Research and Evaluation Methods, 3rd Edition, Thousand Oaks, London: Sage.
- Poulis K., Poulis, E., and Plakoyiannaki, E. (2013). The Role of Context in Case Selection: International Business Perspective, International Business Review, 22 (1), p. 304-314.
Qualitative Data - Writing up Qualitative/Case Research
- McCoy K. (2012). Toward a Methodology of Encounters: Opening to Complexity in Qualitative Research. Qualitative Inquiry, 18(9), p. 762–772.
- Polkinghorne, D. (2005). Language and Meaning: Data Collection in Qualitative Research. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 52(2), p. 137–145.
- Denzin, N. (2001). The reflexive Interview and a performative Social Science.Qualitative Research, 1, p. 23-46.
- Kvale, S. (1996). Interviews: An Introduction to Qualitative Research Interviewing. Sage Publications.
- Denzin, N. K., and S. Lincoln (1994). The SAGE Handbook of Qualitative Research. Thousands Oak: Sage.
- Dubois, A. and L.-E. Gadde (2002). Systematic Combining: An Abductive Approach to Case Research, Journal of Business Research, 55, p. 553-560.
- Ragin C.C. (1997). Turning the Tables: How Case-Oriented Research Challenges Variable-Oriented Research, Comparative Social Research, 16, p. 27-42.
- Piekkari, R., Plakoyiannaki, E. and Welch, C. (2010). ‘Good’ case research in industrial marketing: Insights from research practice. Industrial Marketing Management, 39, p. 109-117.
- Smith, D. A. (2002). From process data to publication: A personal sensemaking. Journal of Management Inquiry, 11, p. 383-406.
- Welch, C., Plakoyiannaki, E., Piekkari, R., and Paavilainen-Mäntymäki, E. (2012). Legitimizing Diverse Uses for Qualitative Research: A Rhetorical Analysis of Two Management Journals. International Journal of Management Reviews, 15(2), p. 245-264.
- Revisiting Qualitative Case Research in IB: The Power of Context, Presented at Athens University of Economics and Business, M.Sc in Marketing & Communication: Specialization in International Marketing, November 2013.
- Conducting a Literature Review & Constructing Research Questions, Presented at University of Piraeus, M.Sc in Total Quality Management, November 2013.
- Case Selection: Key Issues and Common Misconceptions, Presented at the University of Glasgow, Adam Smith Business School, Doctoral Seminar, November 2013
- Case Study Research, Presented at the University of Saint Petersburg, Graduate School of Management, Doctoral Seminar, April 2013